I am so happy to have finally found some time to come on here and write a new post. It has been a crazy busy semester of my senior year of college, but I have a little calm before the storm that is finals week so I wanted to share with you all this cute DIY that I did over the weekend while decorating for the holidays.
I took a trip to Michaels last week and I got a ton of little things to decorate my apartment for the holidays! The best part- most of it was 50% off. I was able to make a few little wreaths and get some things to add to my tree, but this DIY was hands down my favorite (and it’s super easy too).
First things first, choose your favorite holiday word or phrase (I went with the word ‘Joy’), and then gather all the fixins!
What you will need:
- Mason Jars (I went with the smaller ones, and the quantity depends on what you are trying to spell)
- 2 ½ inch ribbon
- Small wooden letters
- Acrylic paint
- Hot glue gun
- First things first, I painted the letters that I chose, that way they have time to dry while you are putting the rest of the project together. Acrylic paint on wooden letter won’t take long to dry at all, so no need to do this too far ahead of time.
- Once painted, set the letters and cut your ribbon so that it fits all the way around the jar with just a bit of overlap (about ½ an inch). Hot glue the ribbon first to the jar, and then wrap it around and glue the second end over the first.
- Grab the letters that you painted. Cut a piece of twine long enough to tie around the top of the jar, while letting the letter hang at the height that you like it at.
- Tie a knot in the middle of the piece of twine and hot glue it to the back of the letter. Then tie the twine around the back of the rim of the jar. Viola! It’s really that easy.
There are so many things you can do with these little jars too! You can leave them as is with the lids on or off, and leave them as a cute little decoration somewhere.
Or add some little tea lights to light during a holiday dinner or party to give the room a pretty glow.
You can also use the jars to hold things (duh)! Add some fresh green clippings from your tree, or use them to hold your silverware when entertaining. The possibilities are endless!
I hope you all enjoyed this quick little DIY post- check out my instagram (@old_soul_young_spirit) to see my other holiday decorations! I can’t wait to have some more time to write on here once the semester is over. Let me know if you try this one out, or if you have any fun DIY holidays decoration ideas of your own!